Naima Fine and Miranda Hill, working as Fine Fine Small Mountain, are at Lashihai, absorbing, processing, and making. These are the projects they have initiated at the studio:
- A composed suite of 6 sound portraits – one of each of the 6 He family members (our hosts), inspired by their personalities and appearances; and portraits of them by former visual arts residents at the studio.
- An aural recipe "book" of Naxi recipes, in Naxi, Chinese and English languages. The "book" will feature step-by-step descriptions of local recipes accompanied by the sounds of the recipes being prepared. Available for download.
- Create a graphic score based on the silhouette of the mountains surrounding our village, and a developed visual representation of the tonal qualities of Chinese and Naxi language telling stories about these mountains;
- Create a mechanical "percussion machine" onsite installation at LiJiang Studio predominately using found rubbish;
- Compose music a) interpreting sounds of wild animals and farming in the local landscape; and b) using ecological data as direct notational input (data examines potential indicators of climate change, collected from a nearby transect by a team from Kunming Institute of Botany).